Field work at the Ascon Landfill Site during the week of January 6 is planned to include:
Maintenance field activity resumes at the Ascon site on Monday, January 6. Field personnel and stormwater experts were on site over the holidays before and following a large rain event.
STORM EVENT ON DECEMBER 25-26:
The Site was immediately inspected following the large rain event of December 25 – 26 and had been inspected prior to the forecasted rain event. Stormwater management measures are in compliance with the Santa Ana Regional Water Quality Control Board (SARWQCB) permit. Field activity at the Ascon site from early October through December included extensive stormwater management actions, which were inspected by the City stormwater inspector.
Ponding was observed on December 26 on the west side of Magnolia Street along the greenbelt south of Ascon where there is an older, undersized municipal storm drain just north of the tank farm driveway. In mid-December, the interior southeast corner of Ascon (near Magnolia Street and the tank farm driveway) was triple-stacked with sand/gravel bags to prevent or minimize water intruding into the Site after a street flooding incident from a nearby property. This action was in addition to other stormwater management measures taken throughout the Ascon site, which are in compliance with the RWQCB permit.
The Ascon team communicated with representatives for DTSC and also with City, County and Regional Water Quality Control Board regarding the ponding on Magnolia Street, which does not originate from the Ascon site. We extend our appreciation to the City public works crews for their quick actions following the storm.
Other current activities:
- The installation of a fire hydrant on Magnolia Street was completed in December. The taller fence panel behind the hydrant will be installed to complete the 16-foot fence in that area of the street.
- There will be continued inspection and maintenance of stormwater management measures.
- Dust and odor mitigation measures continue to be implemented.
- Air quality monitoring continues, both on the Ascon site and at offsite community locations.
- 24-hour onsite security continues.
Please subscribe for email updates.