Field work at the Ascon Landfill Site during the week of December 30 is planned to include:
There will be no field-related activity at the Ascon site over the holiday season through Monday, January 6. Security will remain at the Site.
STORM EVENT ON DECEMBER 25-26:
The Site was immediately inspected following the large rain event of December 25 – 26. Stormwater management measures are in compliance with the Santa Ana Regional Water Quality Control Board (SARWQCB) permit.
Ponding was observed on the west side of Magnolia Street along the greenbelt south of Ascon where there is an older, undersized municipal storm drain just north of the tank farm driveway. In mid-December, the interior southeast corner of Ascon (near Magnolia Street and the tank farm driveway) was triple-stacked with sand/gravel bags to prevent water intruding into the Site. This is in addition to other stormwater management measures taken throughout the Ascon site, which have been inspected by the City stormwater inspector to confirm compliance with the SQRWQCB permit.
The Ascon team communicated with representatives for DTSC and also with City, County and Regional Water Quality Control Board regarding the ponding on Magnolia Street, which does not originate from the Ascon site. We extend our appreciation to the City public works crews for their quick actions following the storm.
Other current activities:
- The installation of a fire hydrant on Magnolia Street was completed in December. The taller fence panel behind the hydrant will be installed after the holidays, to complete the 16-foot fence in that area of the street.
- “Winterizing” best management field activities for the rainy season were completed and the Ascon site is in compliance with the SARWQCB permit. These actions included the installation of sediment screens, thousands of feet of straw wattle, placement of sand and gravel bags, and the application of mulch. There will be continued inspection and maintenance of storm water management measures.
- Dust and odor mitigation measures continue to be implemented.
- Air quality monitoring continues, with pauses on some holiday dates per the schedule posted on this website on December 23.
- 24-hour onsite security continues and an on-call team will be in place over the holidays.
The Ascon team wishes the community a joyous holiday season and a happy New Year!
Have a Question or Concern?
Please contact the Ascon community information line at 714-388-1825 or email [email protected] If there is a potential emergency, please call 911. Find information about Pit F and view telemetry air monitoring data here. Sign up for AsconAlert, an opt-in community alert system for the Ascon project here.
Please subscribe for email updates.